In my life this week… I’ve reached 17 weeks in this pregnancy! Had a prenatal checkup on Monday and baby’s heartbeat sounds good. A pregnancy first for me – I have only gained 2.5 lbs for the entire pregnancy.
In our homeschool this week… We changed up our assignment sheets. I pulled all of our family subjects onto a separate list instead of integrated into each child’s page. It makes their individual lists look shorter which they like and it is easy for me to see what we still need to do as a group.
Family work this week was:
- 2013 Scripture Memory work – Begin learning Abraham 3:24-25 and recite our past verses: Doctrine and Covenants 87:8, Romans 8:16, Genesis 1:26-27.
- 2013 Family Hymns – Begin learning Search, Ponder, and Pray and practice Did You Think to Pray?
- Read Swiss Family Robinson – this is for our Homeschool Book Club. It’s great!
- Mystery of History – this week we talked about Abraham, Jacob and Esau, and today we’ll cover Joseph, which will take us back into Egyptian history.
- Nature Study – we’re all about birds this month! We have been looking for birds daily and learning how to identify different feeder birds by sight and by their songs using a neat dvd.
Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share… Don’t hurry! Linger over the stories of real men and women in history and especially in scripture. Let your family live with these stories and take them into their lives. We prefer to dive deeply into fewer topics each year and truly let them become a part of us than to skim over many topics and allow none to reach our hearts.
Places we’re going and people we’re seeing… Today was our Valentine’s party with another homeschool family. There was plenty of fun going on. We decorated paper bags, made paint chip bookmarks, exchanged valentines, made cheerio bird feeders, and the children put on a silent film with live music by the two oldest girls.
My kiddos favorite thing this week was…
For the girls it has been chalk pastels. You can read about what inspired them. The top two pictures are by Emma, age 7. The bottom two are my Makayla, age 11.
For the boys it has been vehicles. Everything has been driven over, under, around, and through. Cars, trains, motorcycles, planes, horse drawn wagons, trucks. Even making vehicles out of Legos, which is why my boys bedroom looks like this by the end of each day:
Things I’m working on… giving up “MY” time and welcoming my children when they seek me out. Christ is such an example of this. He took time to go to a solitary place but when people came to him he did not turn them away, he welcomed them. I want to be more like Him.
I’m cooking… homemade pizza! The kids loved it and we’re pretty simple. One pepperoni pizza and one pepperoni pizza without sauce. I have these 14" Deep Dish Pizza Pans and don’t use them as often as I should.
I’m grateful for… getting back to a debt free life! We pay off our 12 passenger van tomorrow and so all we owe on now is the house.
Something I am ogling or have my eye on… I really would love a double oven so I could bake multiple batches of things at once.
I’m linking to: